1. There are 7,107 islands in the Philippines.
2. The Portuguese explorer, Magellan claimed the Philippines for Spain in 1521.
3. The country got its name in honour of Spanish King Philip II
4. In times of peace the upper band of the Philippines flag is blue. In times of war the upper band is red.
5. The Philippines was the first country in South East Asia to gain independence after WW2.
6. The Philippines is considered the text capital of the world. Each day an average of 450 million texts are sent which is more than the U.S. and Europe combined.
7. The land mass of the Philippines is 1/30th of the U.S. However the coastline almost doubles that of the states with an astounding 36, 289 km.
8. Karaoke was invented in the Philippines!
9. The Yo-Yo is a traditional ancient Philippine toy (although it was originally used as a weapon).
10. Philippine University of San Carlos in Cebu City was founded in 1595 making it the oldest university in Asia. The second oldest university in Asia is in Manila, the Philippine capital, founded in 1611.